Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default O/T: Master Craftsmen

On 8/13/2014 4:26 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

That might be true but there are too many variables to make a quick
comparison. Pros have caddies that do all of the heavy lifting for
them, they have marshalls that spot their balls for them - lots of
differences. I just do not believe we can compare the pros to the
casual golfer in any respect.

I don't think many "scratch" golfers, that you referred to, are casual
golfers.

Well - you are mixing comments that I have made, but in fact there are a
large number of guys in my league that are below 14 hanidcap for 18.
Certainly not scratch but much better than most. Some are scratch players
who have tried out for the pro tournements that have come around here,. Are
they casual? Well I guess that depnds upon our definition of casual. They
have day jobs and golf is an after hours event for them.

Not so much a purist view as an actual experience view. I rode in
carts too, they were fun, but my game got much better when I had got
serious about improving and as a result shortening my walk.

Can't argue with that. Each of us experience different needs in improving
our games. Could be swing issues, relaxation issues, or a lot of other
things. Can't though, reduce it all to what we experienced in our own game.
It's different for differnt people.

It may not be windy in that spot, behind the trees, at all.

And it does not matter that much if you walked up to the ball or drove up to
it. You can still feel the wind. If the wind is not prevelent when you go
to hit the ball, it does not matter what you felt as you were 100 yards away
from the ball.

You do realize that the wind 100 yards away is likely to be similar to
wind in the other direction. Wind does not typically blow north and
south, or east, or west when the ball is up in the air above the
surrounding trees and or buildings.

My point is you are constantly changing direction on the course even on
the same hole, The wind not so much. As you walk through clearings and
openings you feel the wind direction. There may be no wind at the ball
location as it may be protected. Hit the ball 30' high in the air the
wind is there again affecting your shot.

With a golf cart the wind tends to always be in your face and you may
never get a feel from which direction the wind is coming.

That's a point that I disagree with. I submit that regardless of the
walking effort, the play plays the course. Every shot is about
getting to the hole and little or no thought is about the walk or
the ride to the next lie. That's where I believe the purist
argument comes into play. I've never once ever heard a cart player
suggest that the lie did not matter because he could get to it in a
cart...

The cart rider dies not care where he has to go or how far to get to
his ball, the walker does. I really did not see many cart golfers
put as much thinking into their game as the walkers.

I totally disagree and this is the only real point upon which I disagree.
Like I said - when was the last time you were on a course and honestly
looked at the players. On this particular point I think you are simply
dreaming.

What ever.