Posted to alt.home.repair
skpodd skpodd is offline

Default killing pigeons

replying to cm, skpodd wrote:
homefix wrote:

I need to kill some pigeons. Any ideas. I could care less if it's illegal.
I have tried ant poison, and decon rat/mouse killer as well as automotive
anti freeze.
Thanks,
cm

Most birds do not eat rice, hungry or not, so ignore the junk you see
below about that. Don't use poison (or anti-freeze) because of the risk to
the environment and other wildlife. If your problem pigeons are in a flock
of about 20 birds, get them to feed in an area of easy access. Then, throw
a net over them. Best way to do that is to 'eject' the net or leverage the
throw because the birds will fly off if you get too close or throw the net
too slowly. There is a device that flings a net over a small area but I
have not seen one around my area. By netting you will definitely get a
few. Next, club them with a stick or 2x4. Collect the bodies in garbage
bag and throw in a dumpster. Or, if the target area is less than 50 yards
from the nearest home then shoot them with a BB gun. My experience is that
if the birds don't hear the 'pop' of the gun, 3 or 4 will lay dead or even
flop a little before the rest get a clue and fly off. The problem with
raptors is that the trainers/falconers are not plentiful or don't live in
your area and are expensive and require multiple visits, and the raptors
don't kill all the pigeons, far from it. Having a owl figurine or two on
your fence post doesn't work. Pigeons get wise to it after a fashion.
Crows ignore it. But, many people use these. It seem pigeons can be both
stupid and dumb - some methods to get rid of them work well and others not
so well or not at all. Try different methods, use your imagination. I once
saw a man reach down and grab a pigeon feeding at his feet. He then stood
up with a windup throw and slammed the pigeon to the ground instantly
killing it. The other pigeons stayed away for days or weeks.