Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default LED bulbs

mike wrote:
On 8/12/2014 10:12 AM, Pete C. wrote:

LEDs will give you a modest power savings over CFLs, but more
importantly they have a much longer service life and that is where more
significant savings come in with lower lamp cost over the service live
vs. CFL as well as less lamp replacement labor.

Jury is still out on that one.
I've had to replace several CFL's. It's always been the driver
electronics that smoked.
LED drivers have lower output voltages, but the input side has much
the same vulnerability.
25,000 hour LED life is meaningless if a power glitch can take out the
driver.
Time will tell.

Hi,
Heat is the enemy. When venting around fixture is poor CFL always fails
premature. Yes, electronics failure. So far none of LED bulbs failed in
my place going on almost a year. I expected ones on the GDO in the
garage would go first(vibration) but they are still working yet.