Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Opinions sought-old lathe restoration

wrote in message
I have this old metal lathe. It's B.F Barnes and is at least 100
years old. It has that patina that a lot of old iron gets. Some folks
think this patina should not be disturbed. Other folks think the tool
should be made to look as close as possible to the original factory
finish. For this lathe I am of the mind that the patina should be
removed. I want customers to see what was possible 100 years ago. I
want the machine to appear new, or nearly new, the way it would have
looked in a factory where the machine was wiped down and cleaned every
night. So, opinions?
Thanks,
Eric

I think in machinery restoration to look as much as possible like originally
new AND fully functional is the way to go with parts manufactured to match
originals as needed.

I think the leave it alone mentality is from the gun and antique crowd were
often a batter item with original historic finish often has higher value
than an item that has been painstakingly restored.

Ultimately it is your lathe and your decision. Do what you want, and let
the judgmental asses go F&^K themselves. You are the only one who has to be
happy with your piece of machinery.