Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.os.linux,sci.electronics.repair
Clément Durand Clément Durand is offline

Default How to get a list of IP addresses connected to a WISP homebroadband router?

Jeff Liebermann wrote, on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 09:43:50 -0700:

Try:
arp -a

Hi Jeff,
I had tried that. While "route" exists, "arp" is not installed on
the default Ubiquiti Rocket M2 2.4GHz WiFi radio:
$ ssh -l ubnt -p 22 192.168.1.20
BusyBox v1.11.2 (2014-02-05 18:21:05 EET) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
XM.v5.5.8# arp
-sh: arp: not found

Also, play with iwlist and iwconfig to see if they show connected
wireless devices (by MAC address).

Both iwlist & iwconfig exist, so I will try to learn their syntax.

Are you perhaps trying to build a network map from scratch? If so,
there are network mapping tools that will do the heavy lifting for
you.

I'm mainly trying to understand what's going on, by looking at
whatever information is available to me as I log into the rooftop
radio.

Some of the key stuff I'm trying to figure out remotely is what
IP addresses are connected to the home broadband router, and, what
destination IP addresses those clients are attempting to visit.

I think I have made headway on finding the home broadband router
IP address by lookint at the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file.

I think there's a ton of information about the destination IP
addresses in the /proc/net/nf_conntrack file.

Since there is so much IP information in the conntrack file, I'm
now looking for a command-line method of querying the destination
IP addresses found (some of which are suspiciously from China and
Russia) in the conntrack file, to find out who they belong to.

The one problem with the huge amount of IP data found in the
conntrack file is that I can't tell which client device initiated
the connection to those IP addresses.

So, I have a long way to go ... but every bit of advice helps,
and, I, for my part, will echo back what I've learned to the
group by way of payback.