Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default The headboard Job

On 8/11/2014 1:02 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 8/11/2014 8:39 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 08:08:14 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

I have been commissioned to build a headboard. It is being constructed
with mahogany and is being stained with General Finishes Georgian
Cherry. The basic design will be Federal.

The main panel between the posts has to be wider than any of my clamps
capicity. I could have screwed some of my old pipe clamps together but
I still did not have enough. I needed to clamp in 4 locations a
distance almost 74", so not even my 6' clamps would work.

Any way I made my 40"+ clamps work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Then center piece on top was simply resting on top only being held in
place by the opposing forces of the clamps.

Bessey makes a widget that splices two parallel clamps end-to-end. It
might work for yours, if they don't have a similar widget.

I have a couple of the Bessy unions, I needed two more and more Bessey
clamps. My preference in clamps is the Orange Cabinet Masters.

I'd probably have attached a couple of 2x4's of the appropriate length
to an old sheet of plywood[*] and used wedges between the 2x4 and a caul to
clamp a wide setup like that.

[*] Or even OSB would work.

Assuming plywood or SOB on the bottom and the 2x4' on the top of those
plys, the wedges would have to be full length also. I wold need to be
able to apply force at 8 joints in theis particular case. The full
length wedges would work but the 2x4's wold have to be parallel to one
another and the stock being clamped.

I am thinking more like this and this would cover a variety of lengths
with out further modifications.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/14702143997/