Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default The headboard Job

On 8/11/2014 8:30 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
I have been commissioned to build a headboard. It is being
constructed with mahogany and is being stained with General Finishes
Georgian Cherry. The basic design will be Federal.

The main panel between the posts has to be wider than any of my clamps
capicity. I could have screwed some of my old pipe clamps together
but I still did not have enough. I needed to clamp in 4 locations a
distance almost 74", so not even my 6' clamps would work.

Any way I made my 40"+ clamps work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Then center piece on top was simply resting on top only being held in
place by the opposing forces of the clamps.

Tongue firmly in cheek

The problem here is very obvious Leon. YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH CLAMPS!!

I knowwwwwwww. LOL, The problem is that 8 footers are damn expensive
and I needed 4 and you would never have enough 8 footers that would
mostly collect dust. ;~( I am working on an idea using a couple of
2x4' with a stop on each end on opposite sides. One side stop would
grab the wood and the other end opposite side stop would allow a short
clamp to grip. Two of those and one clamp would work.

Time to break down and buy some of those new Festool Ten Footers!! LOL

Seriously though, that was a good solution utilizing what you had laying
around.

Thank you. the only problem is that the panel wanted to bow, hence the
short clamps on each corner