Madmatter

Default Hints on Turning Boxes w/Tight Fitting Lids?

Does anyone have any hints on turning boxes where the lids have a nice fit
and remain centered?

I'm new to the subject, but I here's what I did.

I turned a spindle, identifying the portion I wanted to be the "lid".
Turned a plug between the lid and body and separated it from the base,
leaving the "plug" attached to the lid.

However after drilling out the base the top fit well but wasn't quite
centered on the base, requiring it to be turned "just right" to make it all
look straight. Oh well, that's why they call if a first try, but it seems
that I might be missing something.

Maybe the answer is more practice with the drill press, but I thought
someone here might have a hint or two on how to better identify that center
of the base after its separated.

Thanks. Matt.