Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pat[_9_] Pat[_9_] is offline

Default Idea for repairing my laptop power jack

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 06:55:23 -0700 (PDT), Tim R
wrote:

On Monday, August 11, 2014 9:55:00 AM UTC-4, Michael Black wrote:
I'm not sure it's "mechanical abuse" so much as a stress point. Any

connector that gets used regularly is likely to show problems. And it is

because the solder is most of what's holding the connector in place. Add

that epoxy, it will be stronger afterwards.

Michael

I would call that stress point a design defect. Apple had a good idea with the magnetic connection.

As others have said, don't assume the problem is the jack. I had a
Sony laptop that had the same symptom - giggling it made it work. It
turned out to the wires in the cable right near the plug. I soldered
a new plug on and solved the problem for a year. It then did it again
so I shortened the wire slightly and resoldered the connections. Fixed
for another year. The wires in the cable were very brittle. Try a
friend's power supply before tearing anything apart. Note that this
was my wife's laptop. It never left the house and she is not the kind
of person to abuse electronics.