Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EDF closes 4 nuclear reactors

On 11/08/14 15:20, Lee wrote:
On 11/08/14 13:31, Lee wrote:
On 11/08/2014 12:51, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes

This is a
quarter of EDF's capacity

Just as well it didn't happen during winter.

We don't know that the fault will be fixable before winter, yet...

sigh. We don't know that an asteroid won't smash into harry's solar
panels either.

And take out half of ****land.

Current best estimate is 8 weeks.

If I've read the PR correctly, that's only for the inspection to assess
whether the conditions which caused the defect in the faulty unit exist
in the other units?
Presumably if the same conditions are found that's when things get
interesting?

Possibly.

Post inspection they will take a view on whether the boilers need to be
fixed, are worth fixing, or whether to simply derate the reactors by 25%
given that they are near the end of their useful life.

In all cases there is probably a way to isolate the boilers and restart
the reactors while decisions are made.

At least one reactor is run sub-max power for boiler related issues already.