Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Idea for repairing my laptop power jack

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014, wrote:

Having done a fair number of these repairs, I can say that the majority
of the time spent is to dis-assemble and re-assemble the unit. I have
only had to replace a few connectors. In most cases, the solder joints
have failed because of mechanical abuse NOT because of poor solder.
The jacks often don't have sufficient support to prevent flexing of the
solder joint. My own Toshiba unit suffered from a similar fate. A
little expoxy around the connector to support it better and I have not
had a recurrance in 4 years.

I'm not sure it's "mechanical abuse" so much as a stress point. Any
connector that gets used regularly is likely to show problems. And it is
because the solder is most of what's holding the connector in place. Add
that epoxy, it will be stronger afterwards.

Michael

Use the advise above to keep track of the dis-assembly process and you
shouldbe able to fix this yourself.

Dan