Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speaking of car ramps

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 23:29:22 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 21:06:49 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 22:00:29 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 06:35:19 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
On 08/09/2014 03:28 PM, Howard Beal wrote:
I like them. They appear to be safer than the typical
jack stands. Seems like they would be easy to make
using square steel tubing. Any ideas for improvements?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCvq6DNJi0

I've never had a problem using jack stands under the frame, and I
would
never trust anything that used the wheel to support a vehicle I
was
planning on getting underneath.

That having been said, the stands in the video are pretty cool
looking,
but I'd still rather stick to jack stands underneath the frame.

Jon

I prefer jack stands, leave the hydraulic jack in place, push on the
bumper to see if anything shifts, and if I'm going to be pulling
hard
on large rusted bolts, stack up 6x6 cribbing. And still I've had
some
close calls.
-jsw

Use of a decent 1/2" air rachet/lug buster is indicated.

Huh? Who's going to be pulling wheels while the car's jacked up on
'em, Gunner? g I had a 3/8" air ratchet, but never even heard of a
1/2"er. I saw that 1/4" air ratchets came out after I quit the biz.

Who said anything about pulling wheels? You mean you didnt know that
there are lots of other nuts and bolts in a vehicle?

Um, the "lug buster" reference -might- have had something to do with
that. I certainly wouldn't try to use an air ratchet for lug nuts.
I'd use my 1/2" impact wrench.

And lug buster? Impact wrench. Not however a butterfly. But a good
old fashioned 1/2" lug nut remove in a ****ing hurry impact gun.
Works pretty damned well on stuck ****. When I was working on oil
field ****..I had a 3/4" one..but sold it when I left.

I wasnt busting/tightening christmas tree nuts and bolts. and valve
unions and whatnot. But I kept my 48" pipe wrench. 4 Feet of Rigid Red
steel!! Muahahahah!! I can twist off a fire hydrant with it!!
Yes!!

Yabbut, it's really awkward in your back pocket. I have a MAC 4"
crescent wrench that I ground to open out to 9/16", a pocket
screwdriver with phillips back end, and a pair of 4" needle nose vise
grips to make up my EDC mini tool kit. That and an old Leatherman
will open/modify most everything.

Impact wrenches 1/2"..got an old Allied, A nice Matco, a SnapOn, a
underpowered I/R which works ok for 3/8" sockets with a step down
adapter and a couple others out in the cargo container.

And a couple 3/8" butterflys. Astros IRRC

I used my 3/8" butterfly for fast work, the ratchet for slower, more
precise work. Air tools sure take the drudge work out of wrenchin',
don't they?

You REALLY need to come down and visit for a week or so. Bring a
cargo trailer. I need to weed out some of this stuff..and you are the
logical recipient. Got 5-6 chainsaws I have absolutely no..no need
for. Macs. Poulans, Ill keep the Husky and the Speed Mac...

Need a milk carton filled with hammers? I have (2) Well packed and
settled nicely. Take a bunch of this stuff home and hit the swap
meets.

I'll be down in CA in October for my niece's wedding, but the trip
down to your house is another $200 worth. Tempting, though. Let me
see how my finances are near the end of next month. I'd really like
to go to the range (or plinkin'/critterin') with you one of these
trips, y'know?

Use of whatever I could wiggle up into there was indicated. Usually an
18" breaker bar and a 6-point impact socket does it.

6-point sockets saved my hands a whole lotta times, Jim, back in the
hand-wrenching days.

Ayup. But Ive busted more than a couple breaker bars. I snagged a
nice SK 1/2" x 26" breaker bar..and busted the square right off the
end the very first time I used it. Lug nut..jumping on it. No snipe.
****ed me off it did. Really. Thing looks brand new..but the socket
square is just a white spot on the face of the swivel.

How bogus of the SK! I went through so many ratchets (1/4, 3/8, and
1/2), sockets, and other Crapsman tools in the late '70s and early
'80s that I wrote to Crapsman and sent bloody stump pictures, telling
them that I'd had enough of their qualityless tools. The pics showed
them that I'd given my pound of flesh and bucket of blood, literally,
when using their tools. As you know, cheap tools always break at the
worst possible time, when you know you'll lose at least one knuckle
when it goes. sigh Even with 3' extensions, universals, and impact
sockets, I couldn't use my air tools on many of those, and lost the
skin and blood for the trouble. I'm still happy to do my own
wrenching when necessary (with new vehicles, it's really not that
often) but I sure don't miss doing it for a living.

And they werent that tight. Grabbed an 18" SnapOn bar and busted em
right easy.

I've been eyeing the $10 HF breaker, a 25", for the truck. But I have
Mr. Twisty, a 20" noname in there now which I've bent several times
with helpers. I've always used a jack or tubafore to back up the
hinge when I have to stand on the thing. The first lug stud I broke
cured me of the unsupported jump.

Anyway, since Mr. Twisty didn't break, I kinda like the kinky thing,
so I'll likely just keep what I have. I always turned it over and
straightened it out on the same tough lug, so it's not a curlicue yet.

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to