Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Painting an exterior cement block wall

On 08/11/2014 04:49 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 03:44:02 +0000, Lili Marlene
wrote:

I have a wartime house and at some point the cement foundation blocks that
are above ground were painted. I have owned the house for 16 years, so it
was at least 17 years ago, but probably more like 25. I bought the house
from a couple in their late 80's and the living room wallpaper was a scene
of a golf course (circa 1960 something).
Anyway, the paint is starting to peel and chip from the cold and snow.
Should I paint it again and if so with what kind of paint?

Of course you should paint again unless you don't mind the appearance
of peeling paint. Like any material, it should be prepped by scraping
or wire brushing the loose stuff.

There are plenty of exterior latex paints available. Your local paint
store can advise you as to the different quality paints they carry.
Better paints cover better and last longer.

Yep, I did some out door painting 12 years ago with a very high quality
paint and it's holding up well. I think it was $38 a gallon, but worth it.

The only precaution would be that the old paint may very well be lead
based and it would not be good to have a vegetable garden growing next
to it.