Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speaking of car ramps

Gunner Asch on Sun, 10 Aug 2014 17:25:16 -0700
On Sat, 09 Aug 2014 20:12:10 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 08/09/2014 03:28 PM, Howard Beal wrote:
I like them. They appear to be safer than the typical
jack stands. Seems like they would be easy to make
using square steel tubing. Any ideas for improvements?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCvq6DNJi0

I've never had a problem using jack stands under the frame, and I would
never trust anything that used the wheel to support a vehicle I was
planning on getting underneath.

That having been said, the stands in the video are pretty cool looking,
but I'd still rather stick to jack stands underneath the frame.

Jon

Im with Jon.

Ive got 8 jack stands that get regular use and 3 sets of drive up
ramps that are also used regularly.

Course..no concrete floors here. Just hardpan or asphalt (uneven
asphalt)

I had an ... experience, many years ago, in Germany ... with jack
stands/ Raising a bus to get at the rear wheels. Jack up the right
side, insert jack stand. Crawl under left side, sit up, insert jack,
start pumping. I hear this little tiny "creak". Lay back down and
roll out from under. Sit up next to a bus 'bouncing' on the springs.
What can I say, I was younger, skinnier, and a bit faster in those
days.
Seems that a jack stand can concentrate the whole weight of a bus
on one single cobble stone. Which is basically setting on 'dirt'. So
the dirt compacted under the weight, just enough to tip the jack stand
past "too far".
So, if working on gravel, or other unsolid surface: put down at
least a piece of _flat_ wood with will hold all the feet of the jack
stand, and then some.
Still no guarantee the thing won't tip over, but I have not have
that problem since.
--
pyotr filipivich