Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Geoff[_11_] Geoff[_11_] is offline

Default Scammer Alert

These scumbags are as common as dirt around here. If you are bored,
you can play along with them by acting dumb, asking where the on
switch is etc., and "I have the penguin on the screen, now what?".
They also try and get you to log into their site, whcih either dumps
malware on your computer, or get you to log in so they get remote
access.
Geoff

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 20:38:26 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I was sitting at the computer this morning when the phone rang. It
was the Windows Microsoft Technical Department? He told me that my
computer had been acting up and he was calling to fix it for me.
He said he had the computer's personal identification number, specific
to each and every computer. Nobody but registered technicians and me
had the number. He had me open a DOS cmd window and type "assoc",
which brought up what looked like file associations. He pointed me to
the longest line and had me follow it as he read it off, matching it
digit for digit. My Bull**** Meter was pegged by this time, but it
was a pretty convincing scam. I asked him why both he, the
supervisor, and his young techie were both sporting eastern Indian
accents and calling from Texas instead of Silicon Valley or Redmond.

I said "No, I'm not comfortable continuing this dialog." so he
proceeds to tell me that they cannot be held responsible for anything
that happens, that the hacker is hacking away at my computer as we
speak. By this time, I had "zfsendtotarget" googled up and it was
warning about others of his type doing this scam, and that the clsid
of that target is the same on every computer, that these guys want to
sell you a very expensive malware suite and/or put a healthy virus on
your computer.

If I hadn't just had a recent run-in with a virus attempt, I would
have quickly told him to bugger off. But he had me (cautiously) going
there for a few minutes.

Be warned, these assholes are out there and seem to be multiplying.
It's too bad one can't send a 750KV spike direct to their computer or
phone during one of these attempts, isn't it?