Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speaking of car ramps

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 17:28:22 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 15:11:06 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 08/10/2014 10:33 AM, wrote:

Many jackstands have even less supporting the vehicle, so that's a
non-issue with me. The big issue for me is when you jack one end, the
other end HAS to moce, so you cannot have a FWD cat locked in park
with the hand brake on without putting tipping strain on the stands,
and the tops need to be well dished to keep the tires from rolling ou.
You cannot readilly turn the steering to get the linkage out of the
way or into position for repairs, and you can't take a wheel off. For
me, the Vast majority of repairs requiring lifting are wheel work - so
not terribly usefull. A GOOD set of jackstands is a lot more usefull,
and every bit as safe unless you have such a rustbucket that the jack
stands come through the frame/floor (I've had a few of those -
scrapped them when I couldn't put them up on a hoist anymore!!!

I use a combination of ramps and stands when I can't bum some time on
a friend's hoist.

Speaking of hoists and the effect of using a jack to lift one side and
then the other to place jackstands, every time I go to do this I keep
thinking to myself that I need to get a chunk of square bar the width of
my frame, and place the jack underneath it to raise the front end of the
vehicle symmetrically, at one time, without the need to do one side and
then the other.

Obviously, once raised, jackstands would immediately be put into
position, and the car lowered onto them. I think the trick would be to
determine the proper center of mass for lifting a particular vehicle,
then welding on stops to keep the bar in the correct position on the
frame to ensure repeated balance, once that point was determined. This
also assumes a fixed (welded) position for the floor jack; mine uses a
hole to locate the lifting cup, so that would be easy enough.

Jon

Best way is to lift the vehicle with the forklift, and put in jack
stands, then move the forklift out of the way.

Thats how I do it anyways...

(Grin)

A hearty +1 for that idea, mon.

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to