Posted to rec.woodworking

Default salvaging hardwood floors ?

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 07:04:30 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 8:16:15 PM UTC-5, cl wrote:
Most hardwood has grooves in the bottom - can't use it upsidedown. I like a stanley "wonerbar" or equivalent for pulling flooring and a lot of other jobs.

Most hardwood wide floor boards, today, have grooves on the bottom side. I don't recall ever seeing grooves on the bottom of old(*?) flooring. Rmo's 1960's flooring may or may not have grooves.

He states the flooring is "strip oak", so I'm assuming the boards are 2" wide, with a (typical?) slight oval tongue on one edge. I'm supposing the 2" boards are not grooved on the bottom side.

Some are, some are not.The 1 3/4 inch oak in the upstairs of my 42 +/-
year old house has 2 shallow round grooves the length of every board.
Much of the much older flooring did not - and some VERY old strip
flooring had saw kerfs the length of the boards to help prevent
cupping/splitting.)I've seen it in maple and cherry flooring - 100-110
year old homes.

My shop has 2" oak flooring and there are spots that I've repaired with flipped and non-flipped salvaged boards. Our "old" cook house/card-playing/dude-hangout (today called a mancave) has 2" oak flooring, that has been repaired, similarly, on occassion. *That old cook house (somewhat remodeled) is, now, the residence of one of my nephew's. .... **and it's overall condition is often questionable, as per cleanliness standards.

Yep, a WonderBar, or two, is another good tool to have, handy.

Sonny