Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speaking of car ramps

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 07:50:20 -0700, Carla Fong
wrote:

On 8/9/2014 8:12 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 08/09/2014 03:28 PM, Howard Beal wrote:
I like them. They appear to be safer than the typical
jack stands. Seems like they would be easy to make
using square steel tubing. Any ideas for improvements?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCvq6DNJi0

I've never had a problem using jack stands under the frame, and I would
never trust anything that used the wheel to support a vehicle I was
planning on getting underneath.

That having been said, the stands in the video are pretty cool looking,
but I'd still rather stick to jack stands underneath the frame.

Jon

A cool idea for raising a car if you're not doing tire or wheel related
work - however:

Looking at a slightly closer view of their construction at their web
site I would be concerned about putting myself under an auto that is
supported only by a couple of (perhaps easily sheared) bits of round bar
stock.

No pricing information - a very new product with no track record but
definitely could be useful with proper safety precautions & design review.

Carla

completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Many jackstands have even less supporting the vehicle, so that's a
non-issue with me. The big issue for me is when you jack one end, the
other end HAS to moce, so you cannot have a FWD cat locked in park
with the hand brake on without putting tipping strain on the stands,
and the tops need to be well dished to keep the tires from rolling ou.
You cannot readilly turn the steering to get the linkage out of the
way or into position for repairs, and you can't take a wheel off. For
me, the Vast majority of repairs requiring lifting are wheel work - so
not terribly usefull. A GOOD set of jackstands is a lot more usefull,
and every bit as safe unless you have such a rustbucket that the jack
stands come through the frame/floor (I've had a few of those -
scrapped them when I couldn't put them up on a hoist anymore!!!

I use a combination of ramps and stands when I can't bum some time on
a friend's hoist.