Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carla Fong[_2_] Carla Fong[_2_] is offline

Default Speaking of car ramps

On 8/9/2014 8:12 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 08/09/2014 03:28 PM, Howard Beal wrote:
I like them. They appear to be safer than the typical
jack stands. Seems like they would be easy to make
using square steel tubing. Any ideas for improvements?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCvq6DNJi0

I've never had a problem using jack stands under the frame, and I would
never trust anything that used the wheel to support a vehicle I was
planning on getting underneath.

That having been said, the stands in the video are pretty cool looking,
but I'd still rather stick to jack stands underneath the frame.

Jon

A cool idea for raising a car if you're not doing tire or wheel related
work - however:

Looking at a slightly closer view of their construction at their web
site I would be concerned about putting myself under an auto that is
supported only by a couple of (perhaps easily sheared) bits of round bar
stock.

No pricing information - a very new product with no track record but
definitely could be useful with proper safety precautions & design review.

Carla

completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.