Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+ Tim+ is offline

Default Exploding cigarettes.

"Gazz" wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Except that he seemed to be blaming the chargers rather than the
e-cigarettes. I'm not saying that there aren't shoddy chargers out there
too but it sounds to me like the primary problem lies with the
cigarettes.

If it were the 'cigarette' which burst into flames when in use, it would
be to blame. But when charging? How is it any different from any other
device which uses re-chargeable batteries?

Well, these are lithium batteries after all, so a little different to
'any' other devise using rechargeables, an overcharged ni-cad battery
vents a bit and dies, an overcharged lead acid gasses untill it boils
dry, then buckles the plates,

But a lithium battery overcharged goes into an exothermic reaction thingy
and goes up like rocket fuel.

i imagine most of the fag lookalike e-fags have no space inside for the
charging circuitry, so they built it into the charger supplied with the
unit, they just decided to use the USB plug and socket arangement for
connections as that's what everyone is used to, not to mention the parts
are available for fractions of a pence per hundred to the manufacturer.

Which is surely a truly terrible idea? This is one of those occasions when
we could really do with an EU ban on any such arrangement (if this is the
actual problem).

Tim