Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bicycle, crash hat and accident

harryagain formulated on Saturday :
"Tim+" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
harryagain pretended :
Well, she shouldn't be reversing out.
She should either turn around or reverse in.
So she is at fault regardless.

Agreed! There were no head injuries and as already said he was riding on
the grass verge between road a pavement.

A likely scenario is that she had reversed out of that drive lots of
times, over that rarely used pavement and never seen anyone on foot or a
bike, so why bother slowing down or looking?

We all see what we expect to see. Behave unexpectedly and you risk not
being seen.

Tim

No we don't. Never heard of defensive driving?
It's a very bad practice to reverse out on to any road.
Something basic you are taught while learning to drive.
I expect there's plenty of thickos here don't know it.
http://www.trafficsignsandmeanings.c...se-safely.html

It is bad practise, something to avoid if possible, but not always
possible. I have hedges at either side of the drive, a long and too
narrow to turn around drive. I also have no choice but to go in
forwards, in order to get the car into my garage, its not pratical
practical reverse in. I keep the hedges down so far as is pratical
practical reverse out at an absolute crawl with both front windows open
so I can hear. If anyones available I get someone to watch me out.

What I do find annoying, is car drivers who see the rear of my car
emerging, but are not bright enough to give a brief warning on their
horns of their approach, but will quite happily pull up outside a
friends house and use the horn to summon them.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)