Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Super Capacitor Voltage Protection Circuit

EngineeringGuy wrote:

When connecting "super capacitors" in series to increase the working
voltage above the level of the individual capacitors, does anyone have an
active voltage clamp that would not discharge the capacitors when the
power supply is disconnected? Most "super" capacitors have a working
voltage of 2.5 or 2.7 VDC... I would like to connect 10 capacitors in
series for a 25
VDC capacitor stack. Most suggestions call for connecting equalizing
resistors in parallel with each capacitor, but I would rather have a
circuit that would not discharge the capacitors when the power is off...
anyone have any ideas?

Well, a couple diodes across each cap would not leak a whole lot
when forward biased below the forward conduction voltage.
With plain Si diodes, that might be 5 diodes in series. they would
start leaking somewhere below 3 V, and conduct pretty strongly
at 3.5 V.

You could also look a Schottky diodes and see what values of Vf you
see. If they start to conduct at .4 V, then 7 in series would
give you 2.8 V turn-on. You can get surface mount SOT23 dual diodes
wired in series, so that would only take 4 parts.

Jon