Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Bicycle, crash hat and accident

On 08/08/2014 17:29, Brian Gaff wrote:
As far as I'm aware its note requirement to wear a cycle helmet yet. it
would be hard to enforce on an unlicensed, uninsured vehicle anyway. No its
not legal to ride on footways except where they are designated as shared.
There needs to be signage and most authorities actual paint a line on the
footway, but blind people are opposed to this as we cannot see either and
are thus unaware of cyclists.
I think your friend can count themselves lucky they are not dead, get a
helmet and wear it has to be the right thing. Also, even though its not
compulsory, get insurance!

The only sign on one locally is a waist high post, adjacent to the wall
/ hedge, with a small blue sign showing both a pedestrian and a bicycle.
I know that, at some point along its length, the pavement ceases to be
shared, but as I neither walk nor cycle along it, I'm not entirely sure
where.

--
Colin Bignell