Posted to alt.home.repair
DaveT[_2_] DaveT[_2_] is offline

Default Change to a concrete sill?

On 8/8/2014 8:21 AM, HerHusband wrote:
Hi Dave,

I've got a garage access door (32" width) whose wood/aluminum sill
chronically allows leakage beneath it, into the garage when it rains.
I've tried all kinds of caulking, rubber seals, improved drainage, etc
and nothing works - I think it was just a poor installation that needs
to be ripped out.
I'm thinking of replacing it with qwikrete instead of installing another
wood/aluminum sill.

A few years ago I had a door frame that was rotting because water was
leaking around the inside of the frame. Moisture tends to wick up the
bottom of the frame near the sill.

I took the old door frame out and replaced it with a composite frame that
won't rot (I measured my existing door, hinges, locks, etc. and ordered the
frame from Lowes).

Before I installed the new frame, I installed Jamsill flashing in the door
opening. This ensures that any water that finds it's way under the door
frame gets directed outside the building:

http://jamsill.com/

I also used a top quality polyurethane caulk (PL Brand) when installing the
new frame.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

That looks like a good product.

But I'm wondering whether it might be cheaper and easier just to put in
a couple inches of qwikrete, smooth it to a close fit to the bottom of
the door with a slope that makes water coming down the door to drain
away from the garage.

I've never done much with concrete, and I'm wondering if I'm not seeing
some kind of problem inherent in making a concrete garage sill.