Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy[_4_] Timothy Murphy[_4_] is offline

Default Cast iron downpipe sizes

Nightjar wrote:

I've been following this thread with interest,
as I have been vaguely thinking of installing a long downpipe -
around 50ft - and would probably be required to use cast-iron
as the property is a listed building,
and the downpipe would be in the front of the building.

The reason I am considering this is that at present
the rain water from a very large roof goes over a valley
in the roof of our part of the property - an old orphanage -
and it is slightly disturbing to have what sounds like
quite a large river going over our heads.

Has it caused problems? If not, I would be inclined to leave it as it is.

Thanks for your helpful response.

The roof leaks slightly under very heavy rain.
The quantity of water that goes over the roof is astonishing.
This is a very large building - we only live in a small part of it -
and all the rain falling on the roof goes over our valley.

Our builder offered to put in a downpipe some time ago,
but when he came with a colleague to look at it
they decided the quantity of water falling
was too great for a soak in the front of the house.
I wanted to collect the water in a tank/cistern,
but they decreed that this was impractical.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net