Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The latest completed project

I mentioned a few times in the past, when asked about my bids, that I do
this for fun and absolutely do not depend on this for a living. However
I do charge what is a fair price for both of us, I'm not giving any
discounts here and I do have to charge enough so that I actually want to
do the work.

It's a game changer to do it for a living. Karl and me have had some good discussions about this aspect of what we do. While Karl and me have input on our projects (he has complete control on his commissions...) we are presented with overall design ideas, dimensions that we must adhere to, materials dictated by price and job requirement, and then... price to the client.

When I started my first construction business, one two things I learned to like the hard way was ramen noodles and humble pie. If folks don't share your artistic vision and you don't have clients that can appreciate and indulge that, you are doomed to ramen. Now you learn to build to spec, the details of structural design, assembly, and amount of labor are determined by you. You design around the materials a client picks, the dimensions they dictate, the finishes they want, and all to be done within the time frame they determine.

The thing I really appreciate about Karl's work and designs are his mastery of joinery and the actual joints he picks out to do his assembly. When I first visited, I expected a large shop full of expensive, tricked out expensive tools from for off European shores. Nope, old school. It is skill and accuracy, with the joints picked for their suitability of use matched to his equipment. Then of course, there is that other side of Karl... the famous metal TV stand. Now THAT took some vision!

It has been many years since I built anything for myself. Too many years of doing it for money (35?)have robbed me of the pleasure of it. It is a job, not a recreational activity.

Besides, when I visit you and Karl, I enjoy seeing your work and what you two have been up to enough I am happy with that. Although, I have to say I might get out the lathe this Fall to spin up some wood for some recreation. It has been a few years since I have, and I am kind of getting that itch.

Robert