Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Locate hidden screw and nails?

On 08/07/14 06:48 pm, mike wrote:

Lee Valley sells Rare Earth magnets.

However, I'd expect the magnet in a magnetic stud finder IS a rare earth
magnet, and if it's not responding to the presence of steel screws, then
another rare earth magnet won't either.

I think this is one of those cases where there isn't a good solution to
a problem.

I had insulation put under the floors.
The installers got tired of catching their clothes on the flooring nails
and decided to just bang them up flush.
I had nails sticking up at various heights under the rug.

Used a harbor freight stud finder

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-...ter-92375.html

Found 'em no trouble.
Used a center punch to bang 'em back down thru the rug weave.

I'm not sure why the Hazard Fraught one would work better than the
Stanley. Keep in mind that we are talking about screw that were driven
in from what is now the underside of the bench top, so only the points
of the screws are within 1/2" or more of the surface.

Perce