Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] rmoo.me@gmail.com is offline

Default salvaging hardwood floors ?

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:45:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 11:10:56 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 8/7/2014 10:55 AM, Rob wrote:

Hello,
Is it possible to salvage old strip hardwood flooring to use again for hardwood flooring ?
I am about to start a remodel project and looking for some cost cutting measures plus I hate seeing things go into landfill when they can be repurposed - reused etc.

So I have two and half rooms with about 750 sq ft total of strip oak flooring (built in early 60's) that will be demolished and probably go into landfill and be replaced with some other product unless I come up with some sweat/labor and solution to reuse or salvage it.

Is it possible, is it viable, any special considerations for removal , storage and so on ?

Absolutely!!

Without fail the first thing to go, after any usable crown, base and
shoe, when a house is being demolished to build a new one is any
hardwood floors are taken out, board by board, and recycled by the
demolition company.
It is even generally specified in the contract with the demolition
company, and part of their profit considered in their bid.

Go for it. It's not rocket surgery.

Should not be too difficult to salvage at least 80% unless it has
been sanded too many times and the top of the "groove" is too thin to
withstand removal. - in which case it is pretty much scrap.

The floors do not appear to have been refinished maybe once since the original installation. I removed a stair cap once and the edge of those boards looked very thick. I guess I will not know for certain toil I pull something up.

Do the old flooring boards need to be edge plained or process for good fit during installation ?

Thanks for help.
Rob