Posted to alt.home.repair
Pico Rico Pico Rico is offline

Default AC duct in garage ceiling

"Rebel1" wrote in message
On 8/7/2014 1:41 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:15:33 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

I don't think the inspector is being hard-assed, he's just following

the code. AFAIK, neither a supply nor a return is allowed into a

garage space. Think about what happens when the system is off. You

have an easy path for CO into the house. Depending on which way the

wind is blowing, pressures, etc, CO could go into the house.

Forgot to add, if you're buying this place, for me, this would be a big
red flag and an indication that you need to do a careful inspection for
other problems. How it got built and inspected to begin with, who knows.
Could be that some owner added it after.

Last week the inspector hired by the guy buying my house gave a very
thorough inspection, and said nothing about this. I mentioned to the
municipal inspector that this house has changes ownership seven times
since being built in 1967 and was never cited for this reason. He replied
that this became a item to check only since 1996. I bought the house in
2000, so it should have been flagged at least once before.

The concern about CO seems rather theoretical. How many cars are left
running in garages for extended periods? When the heat/AC is running? With
today's stringent emissions, I don't think very much CO is generated to
begin with. Besides, the house has two CO/smoke detectors.

Thanks to all for raising other possible concerns that I hadn't considered
that were not mentioned by the inspector.

yet another example of a code being written without a cost/benefit analysis.

In snow country, our friend's house has a furnace outlet into the basement
garage. Without it I bet pipes would freeze.