Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Weisgram[_3_] Jim Weisgram[_3_] is offline

Default Best screw head that won't strip

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 06:07:24 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

I can't decide which is better, the square or the star? Which is less likely to strip?

Thanks.

For me the most important thing is the quality of the steel of the
screw. Buy screws where the metal has been heat treated to make them
tougher. The shape of the head recess comes next in my book. Then, I
put toilet bowl wax on the threads to make them drive much easier.

Someone made a point that you don't want to have to press very hard
when removing a screw. I find this isn't a bigt issue unless the screw
has stripped out the material it is attached to.

My wife was helping me put up a fence in our yard. I started her
driving screws with Robertson (square) heads. She had trouble holding
the drill steady enough to keep the bit aligned. She had no trouble
with the star shaped screw heads.

Probably if I had a hammer driver at the time it wouldn't have been a
problem. Now I do. It makes the OP's question less important.