Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default AC duct in garage ceiling

Rebel1 wrote:
The municipal inspector who issues Certificates of Occupancy when
ownership changes or apartments get new tenants, failed me because he
saw a "vent" in the garage ceiling. The potential problem is that any
carbon monoxide in the garage can be sucked up by the vent when the heat
or a/c is running and be distributed throughout the house. He wants me
to cover it with metal or sheetrock and caulk around the edges.

Problem is, that it is really a supply register. When I looked in the
attic, I could clearly see that the duct supplying it came directly from
the plenum (just above the evaporator) that feeds the other ducts to the
rest of the house.

I removed the register and found that someone had taped its openings
shut, so air couldn't flow either way through it. I sent photos to the
inspector of the register showing how it was taped shut. I also taped a
small piece of facial tissue to the ceiling and turned on the a/c. It
fluttered in the incoming airstream, and was not sucked upwards as it
would be if this were a return.

I wanted to just return the taped-shut housing the way it was. But the
inspector is being hard-assed. He doesn't want to see anything - supply
or return - in the ceiling. I do NOT think he's looking for me to slip
him Not a big deal.a few bucks.

Hi.
To me it is not only CO risk, it is fire hazard as well. His demand has
valid reason. Piece of sheet metal and some screws will satisfy him.
Tape is not fire proof. Not a big deal.