Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Rigid Miter Saw Fence not straight FIXED!

G. Ross wrote:
Imagine a very shallow "V". I noticed while cutting some 2 x 2's.
Put a straight edge on it and the inner portion of both sides is about
1/8 inch back from the straight edge. So far I haven't found the
manual, but the whole fence is one piece of cast aluminum and I can't
imagine straightening it. Any ideas? I tried wedging the center
portion forward but it lives up to it's name. It is extremely ridgid.

I found an old drawer side in my junk box, ripped and cut it and glued
two pieces on the face of the fence with epoxy. Clamped overnight.
This morning I ran it over the jointer taking small cuts until it was
flat.
After putting the fence back on the saw I checked that it was square
with the blade. Also had to adjust the verticality of the blade.
Re cut a bit off the blocks I had previously made and checked with a
machinist's square. Both ways they were as square as a South Georgia
farm boy.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and especially to Jim in NC for
reminding me what a jointer is for.
--
 GW Ross

 A scheme is not a vision - Leonard