M Wingett

Default Adding Pergola to existing deck

"Absinthe" wrote in
SWMBO wants a pergola added to your back deck. I am guessing that either

the
posts have to be removed and replaced with taller ones, or the rails need

be removed and the top posts somehow tied into the existing posts.

Suggestions, advise, please?

--A

Not sure why she wants it on my deck, but if I were to do it I'd notch out
the decking for the posts and lag into joists. Install bracing on both
sides and at least to adjacent joists. There will potentially be cantilever
force across the tied into joists, so I'd also anchor in concrete. If
you're too high, you could add a lot of bracing if pergola is not too big.
Account for wood movement.

mw