Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wheel / Pulley Balancing

On 2014-08-06, Pete Keillor wrote:
I'm to the point of turning the drive wheel for the belt grinder I'm
building for my son. It'll be 6061 Al, 6" dia. x 2" wide, running on
a 3/4" keyed shaft, and turn up to 3800 rpm. I figure I'll put a
setscrew on the key and another at 90 deg., which will require
drilling from the circumference. I can drill holes opposite to help
balance.

Any suggestions on how to balance this for a hobbyist? I'm not buying
a balancer, but could build something. Or just spin it up and see how
it does? Thanks.

Hmmm ... if you make the screw enough bigger (and perhaps an
Allen head cap screw (if you have hollow ends and hubs within that),
you could compensate for the mass missing from the drum surface. Then
no need to drill an extra hole opposite. Maybe add a nut for locking
and extra mass, too.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--