michael

Default Parting tool drift

Eric R Snow wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:19:16 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:
Glad I could help Don. About those Cleveland bits. Worth more than
twice what you paid. They really work so much better than the imported
ones. Especially ones from India. I bought, by mistake, some of the
Indian ones. Ended up throwing them out. Good for absolutely nothing.
And will make you think you have a problem with your setup or
technique. In the future, you will probably find it works best to just
grind the face of the parting tool. Grind back far enough to restore
the original tool profile. Then, if you need to part off a large
diameter, you won't need to grind more on the top or sides.
Eric

Thanks, Eric and Anthony! I ground the top of the bit a little and
ground a bit of relief on the top of the T as well. It runs much
better now. I think I got bit by bad import quality on this one.
The Mo-Max Cleveland bits cost twice as much, but they sure work well!

It seems the Cleveland tools were actually less expensive.

michael