Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wheel / Pulley Balancing

On 8/6/2014 2:00 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

One-plane (static) balancing is generally considered plenty for this
type of job:

http://www.mpta.org/MPTA%20B2c%202011.pdf

(page 4)

That's just a knife-blade job, as I described. Make sure the knife
blades are DEAD level. The back sides of two hacksaw blades should be
plenty sensitive. Just stroke them with a stone or some wet-dry to make
sure they're smooth.

My home made belt grinder has a DC motor with a max speed of 6000 rpm.
With the pulleys that I made, the 6" x 2" contact wheel can run at 4000
rpm. This 10% over the threshold for 2 plane balancing in Ed's
reference. It was balanced with the knife-blade method and does not
show any imbalance.

I gotta admit that I hardly ever run at max speed, which is a belt speed
of 6000 fpm.

Bob