Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Wheel / Pulley Balancing

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

I'm to the point of turning the drive wheel for the belt grinder I'm
building for my son. It'll be 6061 Al, 6" dia. x 2" wide, running on
a 3/4" keyed shaft, and turn up to 3800 rpm. I figure I'll put a
setscrew on the key and another at 90 deg., which will require
drilling from the circumference. I can drill holes opposite to help
balance.

Any suggestions on how to balance this for a hobbyist? I'm not buying
a balancer, but could build something. Or just spin it up and see how
it does? Thanks.

Pete Keillor

[Ed]

Static balance is easy. Turn a shaft that just fits the bore. Rest it on two
knife edges (I like razor blades, if the device is light, but that's
overkill here). It will rotate until the heavy side is down.

At 3800 rpm, with a lathe-turned wheel, you probably aren't going to have
dynamic balance (wobble) problems. Those are more difficult with home-built
gadgets.

--
Ed Huntress