Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Rigid Miter Saw Fence not straight

Morgans wrote:

"G. wrote

I'm mulling over a two-part strip of wood which is thicker at the center
and glued over the old fence. I think I can do this with my planer. The
original fence is hollow and two thin for milling. I found the paperwork
and found that this was a reconditioned saw and is no longer in warranty,
so it is up to me to fix it or take a chance on a new one.

Is the fence aluminum? If it is, this sounds like a perfect job for a
jointer, set for a very light cut. I would cut from the middle outwards,
from both ends, until it does not remove anything, then perhaps one complete
pass set for very light removal.

It IS aluminum, but the fence is off by a hair over 1/8 inch in the
center and the facing on the fence is a hair UNDER 1/8" thick. But I
can glue 1/4 inch wood on it and joint that til it is flat. Thanks
for the suggestion.

--
 GW Ross

 For every action there is an equal