Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Zircs - My dumb question of the month coupon

On 08/06/2014 8:03 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah. So how would you remove the kerosene from the joint? Why
wouldn't the kerosene continue to break down any grease that came
after it? I stand by my statement because that procedure would cause
the joint to fail prematurely. _Worse_ than not lubing it.

It'll get displaced by the new grease (once and presuming one actually
does get the solid broken down which happens in most instances) and what
little is left will volatize and be gone in a short time.

It's done all the time as the other poster notes on lots of heavy
equipment; fairly routine on farm equipment with all the dirt it's
subjected to and the sometimes long intervals between usage of a
particular implement.

I've got one rear spring shackle on the old C60 farm truck, however,
that has been a bear to grease since it was nearly new in '58 and now
haven't been able to get anything in it for years. I've futzed with it
several times and have finally just given up. Only fully pulling the
mount seems like will solve the problem and since don't use this truck
for anything but a seed tender and around the place for occasional
chores like picking up limbs and tumbleweeds around the yard, it'll
outlast me...