Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] slocombjb@invalid.com is offline

Default Zircs - My dumb question of the month coupon

On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 12:59:08 -0700, SteveB wrote:

On 8/5/2014 4:31 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 21:23:18 -0700, SteveB wrote:

I just bought an air grease gun. I am amazed at how many zircs there
are on a tractor, and how many needed juice. Some wouldn't take any
grease. Do you just put a new one in, or is there a way to soak/clean
these? I know they ain't expensive, I just need to take a couple off,
and take them down to match up, and buy a couple dozen. Is it worth it
messing with the old ones, and does it work, or are they trash once they
are plugged?

Those air guns are sweet, eh?

Steve

They come in standard sizes and threads. Usually a hand full of
various sizes and angles will do you for a while. If you want to clean
them you can take them out, stick them in the grease gun and pull the
trigger. If they don't squirt throw them away. (if they do squirt
you've probably used more grease then a new fitting would cost :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

I think at the cost of them, I'll just get a bunch of them, and fiddle
with each a little, then put a new one in, or keep the bad ones, and
maybe boil them in a solvent, or something. Maybe make up an air chuck
that will blow air through the zirc that I have removed, and use air to
clean it out instead of using/wasting grease.

Steve

Hardly worth it :-)

Way back when I was a boy and cars were greased every 1,000 miles I
worked weekends in a service station. Any zirk that didn't take grease
we removed and threw on the floor and put a new one in free.
--
Cheers,

John B.