Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Duck clean release blue tape

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 14:17:42 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
Len wrote:
It's junk. It does not even stick to well itself! I put it over some
door hinges to protect them while I was painting the door. The tape would
not release after one day. I needed to use any means possible to get the
paper off. Then mineral spirits to get the glue off the hinges.

The original blue tape is more expensive, releases well, and, is cheaper
than the Duck brand you include the cost of your time.

My $.02

Len

Ok, you have to pay attention to what the specs say. Duck blue tape
indicates that you can apply up to 14 days before painting. That's BEFORE
painting. Even Frog tape says to remove the tape before the paint dies.

I have never used Frog tape but it looks good in the commercials. But if
they want you to remove the tape BEFORE the paint dries, that is bad.
Handling tape with wet paint means paint on the hands and fingers and on
everything that you touch. It also means that to put two coats of paint,
which I normally do, I would have to remove the tape and then re-tape for
the second coat. That is not going to happen, I will rely on cutting in the
paint edge with a brush, a lot less work and cost than taping twice.

I find that it's best to remove tape after the surface is fully set
but before the paint is fully cured. After the first day the chance
of things going bad go up quickly. Any second coats should be applied
well before this. I generally pull the tape the evening I paint as
I'm cleaning up.