Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default Sony TV KV2167MT picture has got curved

On Monday, August 4, 2014 11:29:27 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I've got a 19 years old 21" Sony CRT TV. Model- KV2167MT. Althought the picture quality is excellent, I've recently noticed that the picture has got slightly curved inwards from the sides.

Sonys are notorious for borderline geometry issues due to CRT/yoke design, but mostly with the larger CRTS. Sudden changes in geometry are usually due to a pincussion circuit failure, but does this smallish model even have a pincussion circuit?

If the distortion is not excessive, I suggest living with it if the picture is as otherwise good as you've described it. Even at 20 years old, it's still likely to survive longer than a low end Chinese TV. (Right now I have a 2013 "black friday" Westinghouse 32 with 7 LEDs burned out in the display, and no replacements available).

And if running a non-HD signal into it, it will probably have a crisper, more pleasing picture than a cheap flat will. If you plan to move to HD, then the old Sony couldn't keep up.