Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best screw head that won't strip

Puckdropper wrote:

If you get the blade to move independent of the spindle assembly, it
might just loosen things up enough to remove it. A couple ideas come
to mind, but are more or less "go for broke" ideas.

The first is to hit the blade with a hammer out near the end.
Repeated blows in the loosen direction might be enough to free things
up. Chances are, though, the spindle will want move. This could be
dangerous, especially if the mower has been lifted.

NO! You'll screw up the bearings in the quill for sure by doing this.

Another is to attach the blade to a lever. I once used carriage bolts
drilled through a 2x4 to make a rebar bender, and something similar
may work here. The minimum is two carriage bolts, one on either side
of the blade, but a third one with a large washer to clamp the lever
to the blade will probably be easier to use. (I find when working
under my mower the hardest part is keeping the tool in place against
gravity.) This will probably have the same spindle movement problem
of the first idea.

Have you priced out replacement spindles?

An impact gun will remove this nut as simple as pie. Just need a big enough
impact gun - not your basic 18v gun.

--

-Mike-