Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default property with "no" water

"Danny D." wrote in message
Ralph Mowery wrote, on Sun, 03 Aug 2014 20:03:39 -0400:

I am out in the country and there is not a hydrant within a mile or more.
Also no pond close by either. I did not have any problem getting fire
insurance. Not sure what my well puts out, but still with a 1 inch pipe
it
is not going to do much for a fire.

Out here (Silicon Valley), *every* home that has a well, *must* have a
wharf hydrant, for the fire department. There are no exceptions.

One must also reserve enough water in tanks for the fire department.
The code is for 2/3 of the water (i.e., 10,000 gallons) to be reserved
solely for fire, with the 1/3 (i.e., 5,000 gallons) for the home.

I posted all the pertinent Santa Clara County fire department documents
in an associated thread already, so I won't back that up here (as it's
already backed up there).

Guess it really depends on where you are at. I am on the east coast in NC
and sofar around here we usually have plenty of water within a few miles in
moat places in the area I am in.

I have never been to CA, but from what I understand there is always a water
shortage, or atleast almost every year so I can undestand the problem and
differant rules.

There was a fire in the county that needed lots of water so the fire
department put out a drop tank and several tanker trucks would go to pick up
water and go to the fire and dump it in a tank where a pumper truck would
put th ewater on the fire.