Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Can an oven be retro-fitted with a timed shutoff?

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 5:18:31 PM UTC-4, Pico Rico wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 4:17:16 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

On 08/03/2014 2:41 PM, Cl�ment Durand wrote:

My electric oven has a timer, but not an automatic shutoff.

So all the timer does, is beep.

I've never seen an electric oven/range since the 60s that did _NOT_ have

a timed bake cycle.

Are you sure you just aren't aware of how to set it or is it really that

old or so basic?

How about a make/model number?

As for the actual question, "sure it could" but it'd be a moderately

complex operation for one who has to ask. Whether there's a retrofit

kit for it I'd doubt seriously if that's the question.

I suppose one could buy a replacement timer assembly for a similar range

and perhaps manage to mung it in place if the control panel arrangement

were similar enough. Obviously one could use a standalone timer and

relays and make something but that would tend to be klunky and gets back

to my previous comment of "if you have to ask..."

--

plus lets say you baked a cake, set the time for 40 minutes and the heat

shut off. but the oven is still hot. your cake will be overbaked

---------

but the house won't burn down.

I think the chances of an oven burning down the house because it
was left on too long, is remote. Certainly not when baking a cake.
The cake will be ruined, the house may smell of smoke (which of
course itself could be a problem), but it's not going to burn the
house down. For that to happen, it would have to catch on fire
and the fire would have to escape the oven itself.

Agree with DPB, al the ovens I've seen, even 50 year old ones
that had timers, also had the ability to do timed bake cycles.
If the over doesn't it's almost certainly not going to be practical
to add the capability.