Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Protective goggles: has anyone tried this?

On Sun, 03 Aug 2014 17:25:24 +0200, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Hi all,

We all know goggles don't last 5 minutes before they become so
scratched up they're impossible to see through. These scratches
typically arise as a result of us wiping "dust" off the lenses (this
isn't household "dust" it's usually abrasive particulates formed from
grinding and sanding activities).
So.... has anyone tried taking a brand new pair of cheap goggles and
protecting them with a layer of clingfilm? You know, like the racing
drivers do. I'm just thinking maybe the useful life of these wretched
things could be extended indefinitely by the addition of a little
clingfilm. Anyone tried it?

My grit blast cabinet has stick on removable plastic sheets similar to tearoffs
used in motor racing only significantly thicker. 'kitchen' cling film is not
really the same stuff at all as tearoffs.

Can't see the point in buggering about sticking film on when you can buy goggles
for just under a quid (plus VAT) from CPC, albeit for dust only with no impact
protection. Decent goggles specified for impact use (I prefer 3M stuff) last
better than cheapies and scratch less, and when they get too scratched to use or
the headband elastic fails (which takes maybe two years) they get thrown away.

If you are grinding a lot then a face guard with a replaceable visor is only
about 6 quid from toolstation and keeps the worst of the crap off your face and
the goggles.