Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Wilson Michael Wilson is offline

Default Another pressure tank question

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:18:02 PM UTC-5, Michael Wilson wrote:
On Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:05:25 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

On 08/03/2014 1:18 PM, Michael Wilson wrote:

I'm out of my element here. I see a pressure gauge from the line

running from the tank to the house. And when the pressure switch

kicks in at 52. I guess I'm looking at the wrong gauge. The pressure

tank was delivered with 35psi. If I just leave it, will I be ok?

Thanks.

Not if that pressure indicator is at all accurate, no.

If the system is empty/open, does the gauge then read zero or is it way

out of whack, maybe? Take it off and be sure it does zero out. Also be

sure the feed tubing to it is clean of rust, etc., so it it gets a fair

view of actual pressure.

Here's at least a reasonably-arranged installation if not pretty--the

well feed would be from the rear, the outlet to the house on this side.

http://inspectapedia.com/water/Two_Harbors_2011_0420_DJFs.jpg

It needs to be pretty close proximity to the tank; if it's too far away

you're reading pressure wherever it is in the system which depending on

pipe sizing, etc., can be quite a bit different.

The bladder/diaphragm in the pressure tank is precisely size to the size

of the tank and the pressure differential between on and off and that 2

psi difference between it's dead pressure and the cut-in pressure. It

moves from fully up to fully extended where it is just at the top of the

outlet when reaching the cut-in pressure--too high and you don't get

much of the tank volume, too low and the bladder will actually extend to

the point it'll cut off the outlet by stretching too far.

You do need to get this right and if you don't have the skill set to get

it set up correctly, spend the bucks and get somebody out to do it

correctly--you'll save money in the long run by not screwing up

something more expensive to fix.

http://www.sprinklers4irrigation.com/en-us/pg_75.html

At least a minimum description.

Unlike Harry K, I'd say the 30-50 is by _far_ the most prevalent setting

I've ever encountered; we run 20-40 here on the farm and have been

content for 50+ years; run the house plus all the animal waterers (up to

1500 head worth) plus the lawn/garden (altho use the traveling

sprinklers rather than impulse sprinkler heads) and never have pressure

issues.

But, I wouldn't quibble with either altho I personally think 60 is too

high for household internal use for the aforementioned reasons.

--

Thanks for the help! The tank is off and the pressure gauge that is visible still reads 52. The switch is set for on at 40 and off at 60. Should I inflate the new tank to 40? Should I change out the gauge?

Much appreciated help on a Sunday afternoon!

Also, is there a standard size for the fitting of the PVC into the tank itself? It's a Flotec FP7120. I can't find anything in the owner's manual or on the mfg web page. Thanks.