Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Another pressure tank question

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:40:43 PM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:
On Sunday, August 3, 2014 11:18:44 AM UTC-7, Michael Wilson wrote:

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 1:06:28 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

On 08/03/2014 12:32 PM, Michael Wilson wrote:

I'm out of my element here. I see a pressure gauge from the line running from the tank to the house. And when the pressure switch kicks in at 52. I guess I'm looking at the wrong gauge. The pressure tank was delivered with 35psi. If I just leave it, will I be ok? Thanks.

No. The pressure _tank_ does not regulate the kick in/out pressure, the pressure switch does that.

Normal settings for residence:

20-40 but rather uncommon. Problem with sprinklers, weak showers.

30-50 but some impulse sprinklers don't work well at the low end.

40-60 is the most common - gives good pressure, needle showers, sprinklers work well.

Pressures over 60 are not recommended for residence as it is hard on fixtures as 'dpb' said.

Note the standard difference is 20lbs between on/off.

If you really have 52 for the cut-in, your cutout then should be 72 - way too high. You need to adjust the pressure switch.

Most have one high screw and one or two shorter ones. the high screw moves the 20lb range up/down to get the cut-in/out where you want it. If you don't have a 20lb difference between cutin/out then the shorter screw(s) are used to adjust that.

Harry K

I agree that 40 - 60 is typical. Not sure about the adjusting though.
I seem to recall that on mine at least one screw adjusted both cut-in and
cut-out, the other only adjusted one. But the pressure switches usually
have instructions on the inside of the cover. Or you can probably find
it online. I would think the tank manufacturers would have online stuff
about pressure settings too.