Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Pressure tank without shutoff valve

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 11:57:49 AM UTC-4, Michael Wilson wrote:
On Sunday, August 3, 2014 9:00:10 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 12:42:29 AM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 11:47:28 AM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:

"Harry K" wrote in message

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 10:56:52 AM UTC-7, Michael Wilson wrote:

First call, longtime listener.

I'm changing out the water pressure tank, but I don't have a shut off

valve from tank to well to drain the tank. If I turn off the breaker to

the well pump, will this effectively shut off the water so I can drain the

tank and replace it? Help much appreciated.

Mike

Yes, and while you are chaning it out, you should install that missing

shut-off valve.

Harry K

I have never seen a well pump with a valve (other than a check valve) on its

outlet to the pressure tank.

And I've never seen one without it. Every appliance using/supplying water should have one for just such a reason. It recently cost me $120 to have a shut-off installed on the well line entering the house where I forgot to specify it when the well was drilled. That was an unusual situation though. I had a leak and needed to shut that line off to isolate it.

Harry K

You're confusing a shutoff valve for the water supply *to the house*, with

a shutoff valve between the well and tank. Of course there should always

be a shutoff between the tank and the house. But I've never seen one

between the well and tank. What purpose exactly does it serve? Assuming

it's a submersible, all it does is block the flow of water into the tank

which you could just as easily do by shutting off the breaker.

If the tank has 60 gallons of water, that water will still be available

to run into the house, unless there is a valve between the house and tank.

Here is why it would be useful to have a shutoff valve between tank and well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZh...id=P-utvCcl8zY

The valve he shuts off is *not* between the tank and the well. The
valve is between the tank and the house water lines. I don't understand
all the confusion here. To drain any sediment, all you really need to do
is:

A - Shut off the power to the well pump

B - Connect a drain hose

C - Open the drain valve.

D - Partially drain the tank.

E - Turn pump back on, repeat as necessary until it's clear.

He also closed off the valve to the house, but that is pointless, unless
you were going to drain the tank totally, to the point that water would
run out of the house system. The only other purpose would be if you
can't make sure no one is going to draw water while you're doing the
process for 10 mins, but for most of us, that isn't an issue. You might
also want to have the pump on for a while as you're draining, to try to
stir it up.