Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default property with "no" water

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 11:22:23 AM UTC-4, Pete C. wrote:
CRNG wrote:

I decided to do more digging, since my Dad and I had seen what looked

like 2 fairly new well caps. I read over the well reports, and they

reported between 1/2 and 3/4 gallon per minute flow rate for both of the

wells, which were each sunk over 200 feet deep within 40 feet or so from

the house. Well, that's not "no" water, but it doesn't compare

favorably to the average of 8 gallons per minute in the surrounding

area. The former owner spent nearly $20,000 drilling those 2 wells

I would call that a very precarious and uncertain water supply

situation. Slightly over a gallon/min for the two wells is very low.

If you had a guarantee that you could get that flow 24/7 and it would

*never* drop lower, you could install a 10k gal cistern and get by,

but I would not risk it myself. There are no guarantees like that.

There are 1,440 minutes in a day so you could expect between 1,440 and

2,160 gal available per use per day. My water bill here (co-op water)

for two people, laundry, some lawn watering, etc. ranges from

2,500-4,500 gal / month, or an average of 150 gal / day. I would not be

at all worried about wells that can produce at least 1,440 gal / day as

long as they are reliable. Low production isn't an issue with a large

cistern and appropriate pump controllers.

theres no guarantee that any well will not run dry. so you cant just multiply minutes in a day times well production in gallon per hour.....